November 2018 E-News
Call for Board Nominations
Download the pdf nomination form.
The American Board of Nursing Specialties is seeking nominations for the positions noted below. The vote will take place at the upcoming ABNS Spring Conference in Tampa, Florida, this coming February 28 - March 2, see http://www.nursingcertification.org/spring2019 for more information. Successful candidates will begin their terms in July 2019.
- Public Member: 3-year term
- Member at Large: 3-year term
- President-Elect: Serves consecutive terms:
- 2 years as President-Elect (beginning July 2019);
- 2 years as President;
- (optional) years as Past-President
- To be eligible for an elected position on the Board of Directors, an individual must be a Regular Member representative to ABNS at the time of election and continue to serve their full terms of office with ABNS even though they may no longer be the designated representative of their Regular Member organizations.
- Members of the Board of Directors may not continue to serve as Regular Member representatives of their organizations. The Regular Member organization previously represented by the Board member must name a new representative to the Assembly.
- Candidates for the office of President-Elect must be Registered Nurses.
- All candidates for positions on the Board of Directors shall have attended at least one ABNS Assembly meeting within the 2 year period prior to election.
- Each Regular Member organization may have no more than one representative serving on the Board of Directors at the same time.
- Self nominations are encouraged. Submit your nomination by completing this form and returning it to the ABNS Executive Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before December 21, 2018.
- Nominees will be notified by the Nominations and Election Committee and will give their permission to be placed on the slate.
- The Nominations and Election Committee will verify the eligibility of candidates prior to preparing the final slate.
Duties of the President-Elect, President, and Past President
The President-Elect shall:
- Assume duties of the President in the President’s absence or at the discretion of the President.
- Assume the office of the President in the event that the office is vacated.
- Provide oversight for the maintenance of the Bylaws, Policies and Procedures of ABNS.
- Serve as Chairperson of the Bylaws, and Policy and Procedure Committees.
- Perform other duties applicable to the office as assigned by the President.
The President shall:
- Serve as the chief elected officer of ABNS.
- Serve as ex-officio, non-voting member of ABSNC.
- Serve, along with the CEO, as official representative and spokesperson of ABNS in matters of ABNS policy and positions.
- Preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and Assembly.
- Appoint tellers, as deemed necessary, to serve for elections.
- Appoint a parliamentarian as deemed necessary to the conduct of meetings.
- Provide ABNS members with an annual report of the activities, decisions, and actions of the Board of Directors.
- Appoint representatives to all committees except the Nominations and Election Committee.
- Establish ad hoc committees as deemed beneficial to the ABNS.
- Perform other duties as applicable to the office as prescribed by the parliamentary authority adopted by ABNS.
The Past President shall:
- Provide a historical perspective and serve an advise and consent roll on the board of directors.
- Serve as a member of the Nominating Committee.
Duties of the Member at Large
- Coordinate activities and serve as liaison between designated ABNS committees and the Board of Directors.
- Serves as the Chairperson of the Public Relations Committee, if one is appointed.
- Serves as a member of the Finance Committee.
- Provide reports on committee activities to the Board of Directors.
- Perform other duties applicable to the office and prescribed by the President.
Duties of the Public Member
- The Public Member champions the perspective of the health care consumer.
- Attends regularly scheduled Assembly meetings. Participates in scheduled Board of Directors meetings and teleconferences.
- Represents ABNS at meetings, as requested by the President.
- Assumes other duties of the office as assigned by the President.
Note: The public member may not be a Registered Nurse or involved with any nursing certification body, nor can he/she concurrently serve on the Board of Directors or as a staff member of an ABNS member organization.
Veteran's Day 2018
The American Board of Nursing Specialties would like to thank all of our military veterans for their service on this upcoming Veteran's Day, and want you to remember the vital roll that medical providers, especially nurses, play in providing that support and care to all those in need.
ABNS Spring 2019 Conference
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay ~ February 28 - March 2, 2019 ~ 2900 Bayport Drive, Tampa, FL
Grand Hyatt Hotel
2900 Bayport Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33607
Guest Reservations and Room Rates
Contact the hotel at 813-874-1234 and mention the ABNS Spring Conference to receive the following group rates:
- $229 per night Single/Double
- $254 per night Triple, $279 per night Quad
- Rates do not include applicable state and local taxes, currently 12%
The group rate is available until central time on January 25, 2019 or when rooms sell out. All reservations must be guaranteed by a credit card. Reservation requests received after the cut-off date will be based on availability at the hotel’s prevailing rates.
Bundled registrations with a valid credit card are now available! Click here to register online.
- Regular or Affiliate Member (first or second attendee): $450
- Regular or Affiliate Member (additional attendee(s) after 2): $400
- Auditor (individuals whose organizations are not ABNS members): $600
Select your sponsorship online. For additional information or for sponsorship opportunities not listed below, contact Robert Ranieri, ABNS Account Manager at 205-795-7127 or email email@example.com.
- Welcome Reception: $4,200
- Luncheon: $4,200
- Breakfast (Friday or Saturday): $3,000
- Breaks (Friday AM, PM; Saturday AM): $2,000
Refunds due to cancellation will be processed as follows:
- Through January 25: 90% of registration fees.
- Beginning January 26: No refund due to cancellation.
(subject to change)
|9am - 5pm
||Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc. Meeting (for elected Board members)
|7:45am - 9am
|9am - 12noon
|12noon - 1:30pm
|1:30pm - 5pm
|5:30pm - 6:30pm
|7:30am - 8:30am
|8:30am - 12noon
Let Us Know
Do you have an update? Information that may be beneficial to your fellow members? If so, email us and let us know what you'd like to have posted here about you or your organization!
American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS)
3416 Primm Lane
Birmingham, AL 35216 USA