American Board of Nursing Specialties
Promoting Excellence in Nursing Certification
ABNS is a not-for-profit, membership organization governed by an elected group of representatives. We are focused on improving patient outcomes and consumer protection by promoting specialty nursing certification. ABNS member organizations represent more than a half million certified registered nurses worldwide. We have a strong, unified voice. Becoming an ABNS member is the best way to connect with other nursing credentialing organizations and dialogue about the specific issues nurses face. Click here to read the ABNS Fact Sheet.
The ABNS mission statement is, "to promote the value of specialty nursing certification to all stakeholders." Learn more about ABNS in the About Us section.
Please note: ABNS does not verify credentials of individual nurses. To verify a credential, contact the certifying agency that granted the credential. ABNS is a membership organization for certifying agencies and does not actually administer certification program(s).
Please Note: This website contains information specific to specialty nursing certification and is not intended or designed to give medical or nursing advice in any sense.
Sponsored webinars are made available to ABNS members free of charge. Once a live webinar is completed it is archived by CommPartners and made available for future registered viewing.
Now available in the webinar archive:
Topic: Board Evaluation
Sponsored by Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission
Topic: What’s New in Testing Psychometrics
Sponsored by NBCRNA
Speaker: Dr. Timothy Muckle, Director, NBCRNA Testing Services
Topic: Top Ten Legal Issues for Certification
Sponsored by the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission
Speaker: Jeff Glassie, Co-chairman of the Nonprofit Organizations and Associations practice group at Whiteford, Taylor and Preston, LLP
Click here for more information and to access the on demand webinar archive.
As a CAE Approved Provider educational program related to the CAE exam content outline, each webinar may be applied for 1 credit toward your CAE application or renewal professional development requirements.
This program is not endorsed, accredited, or affiliated with ASAE or the CAE program. Applicants may use any program that meets eligibility requirements in the specific timeframe toward the exam application or renewal. There are no specific individual courses required as part of the applications – selection of eligible education is up to the applicant based on his/her needs.
- The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc.
(ABSNC) announced it has granted initial accreditation to the American Holistic Nurses Credentialing
Corporation for four certification programs. The programs are: HNB‐BC ‐ Holistic Baccalaureate Nurse,
Board Certified; AHN‐BC – Advanced Holistic Nurse, Board Certified; APHN‐BC – Advanced Practice
Holistic Nurse, Board Certified and NC‐BC – Nurse Coach, Board Certified. (read full text)
- At the annual spring Assembly meeting (March 6 - 7, 2015), during the portion of the meeting devoted to ABSNC business, we will be electing an individual to fill one position on the ABSNC Board of Directors. We are seeking nominations for this position. Self-nominations are acceptable and encouraged. Download the 2014 Call for Nominations and submit by December 8, 2014. Please note: ABSNC positions are filled by organizations with accredited programs.
- At the upcoming annual spring Assembly meeting (March 6 - 7, 2015), ABNS will be electing individuals to the following positions: President-Elect and one member of the Nominations and Elections Committee. We are seeking nominations for these positions. Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged. Download the 2014 Call for Nominations and submit by December 8, 2014.
- Maria R. Shirey, PhD, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, FACHE, FAAN, current ABNS President, has been selected for induction as a Fellow into the National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education. The induction of the new fellows is scheduled for this month in Phoenix in conjunction with teh NLN's Annual Education Summit. Congratulations Maria!
- The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABSNC) announced it has granted reaccreditation for the CMSRN® credential for the Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse certification program of the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board (MSNCB). (read full text)
The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABSNC) announced it has granted initial accreditation for the SCRN® credentials for the Stroke Certified Registered Nurse certification program of ABNN. (read full text)
The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABSNC) announced it has granted initial accreditation for the AGPCNP‐BC credentials for the Adult Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certification program of ANCC. (read full text)
The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABSNC) announced it has granted initial accreditation of the AGACNP-BC credential for the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certifications offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). (read full text)
The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) Awards and Recognition Committee announced during the organization’s Spring Assembly meeting that it has selected Suburban Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine in Bethesda, MD as the recipient of the 2014 Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy. (read full text)
The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) Awards and Recognition Committee announced during the organization’s Spring Assembly meeting that it has selected Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital, Allentown, PA, as the honorable mention recipient of the 2014 Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy. (read full text)
- ABNS announces the Leaders’ Legacy Lecture Series, a special program to recognize the contributions of specialty nursing certification leaders.
- Doing research on nursing certification? Attention all graduate students and researchers: If your research relates to nursing certification, click here to tell us about it.
- ABNS Board of Directors Endorses Statement on Continuing Competence for Nursing: A Call to Action. Read more about the statement and see a list of the ABNS members that have endorsed the statement.
- Download the Institute of Medicine 2010 report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
- A link to the Nursing License Map web site has been added the Resources page. This site offers a simple guide to licensure in each state.