American Board of Nursing Specialties
Promoting Excellence in Nursing Certification
ABNS is a not-for-profit, membership organization governed by an elected group of representatives. We are focused on improving patient outcomes and consumer protection by promoting specialty nursing certification. ABNS member organizations represent more than a half million certified registered nurses worldwide. We have a strong, unified voice. Becoming an ABNS member is the best way to connect with other nursing credentialing organizations and dialogue about the specific issues nurses face. Click here to read the ABNS Fact Sheet.
The ABNS mission statement is, "to promote the value of specialty nursing certification to all stakeholders." Learn more about ABNS in the About Us section.
Please note: ABNS does not verify credentials of individual nurses. To verify a credential, contact the certifying agency that granted the credential. ABNS is a membership organization for certifying agencies and does not actually administer certification program(s).
Please Note: This website contains information specific to specialty nursing certification and is not intended or designed to give medical or nursing advice in any sense.
Sponsored webinars are made available to ABNS members free of charge. Once a live webinar is completed it is archived by CommPartners and made available for future registered viewing.
Now available in the webinar archive:
Topic: Board Evaluation
Sponsored by Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission
Topic: What’s New in Testing Psychometrics
Sponsored by NBCRNA
Speaker: Dr. Timothy Muckle, Director, NBCRNA Testing Services
Topic: Top Ten Legal Issues for Certification
Sponsored by the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission
Speaker: Jeff Glassie, Co-chairman of the Nonprofit Organizations and Associations practice group at Whiteford, Taylor and Preston, LLP
Click here for more information and to access the on demand webinar archive.
As a CAE Approved Provider educational program related to the CAE exam content outline, each webinar may be applied for 1 credit toward your CAE application or renewal professional development requirements.
This program is not endorsed, accredited, or affiliated with ASAE or the CAE program. Applicants may use any program that meets eligibility requirements in the specific timeframe toward the exam application or renewal. There are no specific individual courses required as part of the applications – selection of eligible education is up to the applicant based on his/her needs.
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) Awards and Recognition Committee announced during the organization’s Spring Assembly meeting it has selected four institutions as honorable mention recipients of the 2015 Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy. The four institutions are: CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs, Council Bluffs, IA; Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA; St. Elizabeth Hospital, Gonzales, LA; and West Kendall Baptist Hospital, Miami, FL. (read full text)
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) Awards and Recognition Committee announced during the organization’s Spring Assembly meeting it has selected Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (VCUHS) in Richmond, VA as the recipient of the 2015 Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy. (read full text)
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) honored Maria Shirey, PhD, MBA, RN, NEA‐BC, ANEF, FACHE, FAAN, the organization’s current President, as part of its Legacy Leader recognition program. The American Association of Critical‐Care Nurses Certification Corp. (AACN) nominated Shirey for her significant contributions to the specialty nurse certification industry. (read full text)
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) announced today the National Certification Corporation for Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing (NCC) is the recipient of the Janel Parker Presidents Award for their work in executing the “Certified Nurses are Everywhere” campaign, a public education program focused on communicating the value of specialty certification for nurses to the public. (read full text)
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) announced today it has elected Annikay Erby, MBA, CAE, Executive Director of the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board (WOCNB), as a member of the Nominations Committee. (read full text)
- The American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) announced today that it has elected C. Lynne Grief, PhD, RN, CEN, as the President‐Elect, beginning July 1, 2015. She will serve in this position for two years, followed by a two‐year term as President. (read full text)
- The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC) announced today it has elected Lisa Thiemann, PhD, CRNA, to the ABSNC Board of Directors for a three year term of office, beginning July 1, 2015. To be eligible to serve on the ABSNC Board of Directors, the individual must be a designated representative of an organization with an ABSNC‐accredited certification program. (read full text)
- The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc.
(ABSNC) announced it has granted reaccreditation to the American Legal Nurse Consultant Certification
Board for the Legal Nurse Consultant Certified® (LNCC®) credential. (read full text)
- Bonnie Niebuhr, ABNS/ABSNC CEO, to Retire in 2016 - The leaders of the American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) and the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC) announced today the retirement of Bonnie Niebuhr, MSN, RN, CAE, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of both organizations, at the conclusion of her current contract in June 2016. (read full text)
- The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification, Inc.
(ABSNC) announced it has granted initial accreditation to the American Holistic Nurses Credentialing
Corporation for five certification programs. The programs are: HNB‐BC ‐ Holistic Baccalaureate Nurse,
Board Certified; AHN‐BC – Advanced Holistic Nurse, Board Certified; APHN‐BC – Advanced Practice
Holistic Nurse, Board Certified, NC‐BC – Nurse Coach, Board Certified, and HN-BC, Holistic Nurse, Board Certified. (read full text)
- Maria R. Shirey, PhD, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, FACHE, FAAN, current ABNS President, has been selected for induction as a Fellow into the National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education. The induction of the new fellows is scheduled for this month in Phoenix in conjunction with teh NLN's Annual Education Summit. Congratulations Maria!
- ABNS announces the Leaders’ Legacy Lecture Series, a special program to recognize the contributions of specialty nursing certification leaders.
- Doing research on nursing certification? Attention all graduate students and researchers: If your research relates to nursing certification, click here to tell us about it.
- ABNS Board of Directors Endorses Statement on Continuing Competence for Nursing: A Call to Action. Read more about the statement and see a list of the ABNS members that have endorsed the statement.
- Download the Institute of Medicine 2010 report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
- A link to the Nursing License Map web site has been added the Resources page. This site offers a simple guide to licensure in each state.