American Board of Nursing Specialties
Promoting Excellence in Nursing Certification
ABNS is a not-for-profit, membership organization governed by an elected group of representatives. We are focused on improving patient outcomes and consumer protection by promoting specialty nursing certification. ABNS member organizations represent more than a half million certified registered nurses worldwide. We have a strong, unified voice. Becoming an ABNS member is the best way to connect with other nursing credentialing organizations and dialogue about the specific issues nurses face. Click here to read the ABNS Fact Sheet.
The ABNS mission statement is, "to promote the value of specialty nursing certification to all stakeholders." Learn more about ABNS in the About Us section.
Please note: ABNS does not verify credentials of individual nurses. To verify a credential, contact the certifying agency that granted the credential. ABNS is a membership organization for certifying agencies and does not actually administer certification program(s).
Please Note: This website contains information specific to specialty nursing certification and is not intended or designed to give medical or nursing advice in any sense.
ABNS will offer two webinars in 2014:
- Board Member Recruitment – Sponsored by Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation - In this interactive webinar session, participants will learn about successful strategies and best practices for recruiting board members who can add real value to your board and to your organization. Participants will be provided with access to helpful tools and advice and have opportunities to ask questions and share board recruitment success stories.
- Board Evaluation – Sponsored by Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission - Participants in this webinar will learn about some of the tools that successful boards are using to assess their meetings, their board performance, and even their individual board members. The presentation will focus on how you can use similar tools and strategies to help your board strengthen its own capacity, improve its governance practices, and deepen its engagement in your work.
These sponsored webinars are made available to ABNS members free of charge. Once a live webinar is completed it is archived by CommPartners and made available for future registered viewing.
Now available in the webinar archive:
Topic: What’s New in Testing Psychometrics
Sponsored by NBCRNA
Speaker: Dr. Timothy Muckle, Director, NBCRNA Testing Services
Topic: Top Ten Legal Issues for Certification
Sponsored by the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission
Speaker: Jeff Glassie, Co-chairman of the Nonprofit Organizations and Associations practice group at Whiteford, Taylor and Preston, LLP
Click here for more information and to access the on demand webinar archive.
As a CAE Approved Provider educational program related to the CAE exam content outline, each webinar may be applied for 1 credit toward your CAE application or renewal professional development requirements.
This program is not endorsed, accredited, or affiliated with ASAE or the CAE program. Applicants may use any program that meets eligibility requirements in the specific timeframe toward the exam application or renewal. There are no specific individual courses required as part of the applications – selection of eligible education is up to the applicant based on his/her needs.
- ABSNC announced it has granted reaccreditation to the American Board of Perianesthesia Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABPANC) for the Certified Post Anesthesia Nurse program (CPAN®) and the Certified Ambulatory Perianesthesia Nurse program (CAPA®). (read full text)
- ABNS announced today that it honored two leaders in the nursing certification industry at their Fall Assembly Meeting in October. (read full text)
- ABSNC announced it has granted reaccreditation for the Nationally Certified School Nurse (NCSN®) credential sponsored by the National Board for Certification of School Nurses, Inc. (NBCSN). (read full text)
- ABSNC announced it has granted reaccreditation for the RN-BC credential for the Cardiac-Vascular Nursing, Gerontological Nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing certification programs offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Also granted reaccreditation is the RN-BC credential for the Ambulatory Care, Nursing Case Management and Pain Management Nursing certification programs offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). (read full text)
- ABSNC Accredits Certified Radiology Nurse Program - read more
- ABNS announces the Leaders’ Legacy Lecture Series, a special program to recognize the contributions of specialty nursing certification leaders.
- Doing research on nursing certification? Attention all graduate students and researchers: If your research relates to nursing certification, click here to tell us about it.
- ABNS Board of Directors Endorses Statement on Continuing Competence for Nursing: A Call to Action. Read more about the statement and see a list of the ABNS members that have endorsed the statement.
- Download the Institute of Medicine 2010 report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
- A link to the Nursing License Map web site has been added the Resources page. This site offers a simple guide to licensure in each state.